Single Central Record

Should the Single Central Record be signed by the person who carried out the check?

In many schools, different people are responsible for making different checks, however, this could led to some ambiguity about whether signatures, full names or initials should be used.

When I contacted the Department for Education to clarify this they told me:
“There is no requirement for schools to record the name of the person who carried out checks on the single central record. The previous safeguarding guidance ‘Safeguarding Children and Safer Recruitment in Education stated that schools should record who carried out the checks, but this was referring to the organisation that carried out the check and was recommended but was not statutory. The statutory requirements are set out in Keeping Children Safe in Education and the School Staffing Regulations, however, there is nothing to prevent schools adding any additional information on the single central record if they so wish.”

The details of the Single Central Record can be found in ‘Keeping children safe in education September 2016‘, paragraphs 112 and 113.

Who should manage the Single Central Record?

In many schools, the SCR is managed by a member of the school’s business team, typically the senior manager. There is no statutory guidance on this, but ultimately the headteacher and chair of governors are responsible for the correct vetting of staff. It is wise therefore to ensure that the SCR is monitored and checked regularly, perhaps termly, and signed off by the head. The Chair of Governors (or other nominated governor) should understand the requirements of the SCR and be confident that the Head is fulfilling their duty. In some areas, local authority staff audit the school’s SCR. Given the importance of the SCR, more than one person should know how to access and update the information.

Teacher status checks

The Department for Education provides a free service for schools, local authorities and supply agencies in England to check the record of any teacher they are considering employing. This secure service is called ‘Teacher Services‘.

Since the 1st September 2013, it has been a statutory requirement that a Prohibition Order check must be made for any teacher the school employs. This is different to a barred list check (obtained via the DBS). The prohibition check can be made via the Employer Access service.

Through the Employer Access service, schools can check:

  • teacher’s personal details
  • initial teacher training qualifications
  • qualified teacher status
  • induction status
  • supplementary qualifications
  • details of any active sanctions
  • a suspension or conditional order imposed by the General Teaching Council for England (prior to abolition) that is still current
  • prohibition from teaching

All schools should be registered with ‘Employer Access’, but if not registration can be made by requesting one by placing a service request here:

For urgent matters, where a school is waiting for login details to be confirmed, the school should email with the words ‘urgent query’ in the subject line.

Further Information

Managing staff appointments: supplementary advice for schools (DfE)


Join the Safeguarding Briefing Today!
The FREE Weekly Safeguarding Briefing keeps you up-to-date with information and practical resources.

Leave a comment